The Value of a Writers Group
I’ve been thinking about joining a writers group. I’ve heard they can be very helpful.
What’s the point:
- Connect with a group of other writers
- Share work with each other
- Find those select few to be your beta readers
- Get constructive criticism about your writing
I looked into several local groups and didn’t seem to find what I wanted. Then a new Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Group formed and a good friend of mine dragged me to the library for one of their meetings.
The first hour was a guest speaker, a team of self-publishing experts. The second hour was for critiquing and I shared a short story that I have been working on.
Highlights of the meeting:
- I was surrounded by other geeks/readers/writers
- It wasn’t so bad and scary once I introduced myself
- The Guest speaker was interesting (although I don’t see myself going with self-pub)
- Someone was more nervous than I was about sharing their writing
- My short story was well received and feedback included very helpful criticism
- I left the meeting feeling excited about meeting up again soon
All in all, I think it was past time for me to find that group and I look forward to more. My advice? Find a local writers group! What do you have to lose?